112 - 114 E. Central Now Bleachers & Central Ave. Toys
112 - 114 E. Central was built about about 1890 with decorative brick corbelling at the cornice. This building retains its original cast iron storefront columns, stamped "Neosho, MO" and was placed on the National Historic Registry on January 28, 1988.
In the 1890's, there was a hardware & stove store located on the bottom floor of the east (114) side of the building. The second floor had a tin shop above the hardware store. This side of the building in the early 1900's housed Will Burns Groceries & R. R. Cook Groceries. Around 1920, the east side of the building was Boon Brothers Dry Goods.
The west (112) side of the building was a grocery store in the 1890's. Then, in the early 1900's, the T. Farrar Hardware Store operated here, while the Racket Store was probably located here in this general time frame. Foster & Son Meat Market, also in the west storefront ,then operated here until they moved to South Main Street. This happened in 1908 when S. C. Bohart Hardware Store established their business at this location. Their advertising said, "It is without a doubt one of the largest retail hardware and implement stores in the county." The name was changed in the 1930's to Haxton Hardware Store. During the time it was Haxton's, one of their employees came to the hardware store on a Sunday. The man's wife had recently left him. In a fit of despair he tied together dynamite from the store, attached it to himself, and lit the fuse. The blast blew the roof off the building and was heard all over town.
Much of this section of this block was home to Roy's Office Supply for several decades. Today the stores house Bleachers Sports Gifts & Souvenirs, and Central Avenue Toys.