The Dinsmore building at 116 E. Central was built in 1876 by W. A. Dinsmore, the father of Hugh Dinsmore who served as U. S. Minister to Korea from 1886-1890. In 1891 we know the Burkett - Hickman Hardware store was located in this building. Also the 1890s there was a millinery shop at this location. The upstairs was a dance studio run by Mr. Dinsmore's granddaughter, Kate Watson. Around the mid 1890s, a drug store was located in this building. The owner of the drug store is unknown.
In the early 1900s, R.R. Cook Grocery and Will Burns Grocery occupied this location. From the 1920s, there is an image that shows it as a tire shop.
At one time, Haxton Hardware rented this building by the month. As one story goes, in front of Haxton's there were a lot of bicycles that could be rented. The tandem bikes seemed to be quite popular with young bachelors are they courted young ladies. One bachelor took advantage of this and reserved a bike for the whole day on Sunday each week for a time. This gentleman is identified as the grandfather of Louise Thaden.
On Saturday nights, the African Americans held dances in the upstairs area of this building. Ticket holders who had too much to drink were not admitted into the dance. In one reported incident, an intoxicated individual who persisted to be admitted was knocked down the stairs.
In 1932, Luther Harrison purchased the building and ran a variety store at this location. The next known renter was Ott's Swap Shop. At one time J. Dickson Black, local businessman and writer, had his photo studio upstairs. Later, the building was purchased by Rev. Stan Manus who partitioned the building into two shops. On the corner was Manus Realty, with Hilton's Auto Supply in the other part. In 1974, Reed Olsen purchased the building and remodeled it.
This building is now home to Bloomhills Hair on the Square.