This hotel was built by J. W. Clark in 1841 and was at one time called Clark's Hotel. The building appears to originally have been a wood structure, with a brick addition added at a later time. The structure later became known as the Eagle House or Eagle Hotel.
During the Civil War, Union General Franz Sigel and some of his men were staying at the hotel and General Sigel had just sat down and ordered breakfast on March 6, 1862. Soon after, his staff informed him that the Confederates were entering town. General Sigel had to leave his unfinished meal and retreat from advancing Confederate forces. A battle ensued that lasted until sunset, at which time both sides returned to their respective camps. The story has been told that General Sigel returned 25 years later to finish his breakfast at the Eagle Hotel.
In 1904 the building was also used by Charle Mitchell as a marble works and monument business. The building was almost destroyed by fire in 1905 and then was torn down in 1908 to make room for the new Massey Hotel.
No, there are not people buried under Central Ave. In the early 1900's, the hotel housed Bentonville Marble Works which was owned by H. G. McWhirter & Charles O. Mitchell & Company Marble and Granite Works.
A plaque that sits on the corner of W. Central and S. W. A St. recounts the Civil War story involving the old Eagle hotel.