The American Legion Post in Bentonville was started by Jeff Rice in September 1919. The American Legion Hall, in the foreground, was built by the CWA (Civil Works Administration) in 1934. The land (not included the cost of the Legion Hall) was $2500. At that time the building sat right behind the Benton County courthouse. The building was mainly used for American Legion events but would also be rented out. During the summer, they would have country western bands come in and play. There were a lot of parties held here. Sometimes the more influential people would have what was called a "Gang Dance" which would often be dances with themes, but sometimes it was just for the fun of it. Since Benton County was a dry county (no alcohol sold in the county) people would have to BYOB to the event.
These are images of the American Legion Hall in Bentonville in the 1950's
Here is a photo of what the interior of the building looked like.