307 W. Central - Craig/Bryan House was built in 1871. James Terrill Craig had spent two years out west during the California gold rush. In California he made his fortune as a very successful merchant and a wise investor in the mining industry. In the 1870's Mr. Craig moved to Bentonville and had this 4,850 square foot house built. Mr. Craig was one of the early settlers in Bentonville, and this was the first two-story home to be built in town. The Craig family ran a produce and furniture store business in town. The Craigs raised five boys in this historic home, and James T. Craig died in 1895.
The house was sold to attorney George Moore who added the central cupola to the house. The Moores had six boys, and this became a quiet retreat for the father.
The Bryan family later purchased the home. The Bryan family occupied the home for over 70 years. Their daughter, Mabel Bryan, married Fred Berry, the youngest son of Governor James H. Berry.
The house is of brick masonry construction in an Italianate style with jig-sawn vergeboard in the gables. Note the iron balconies on the front of the house that were salvaged from the 1874 brick courthouse that stood on the northeast corner of the square until the late 1920's. The entry of the house has beautiful etched glass french doors put in by the original owners. With 18" thick walls, the clay bricks were made on site over 135 years ago.
The home was beautifully restored by Troy and Suzanne Parnell and is now called the Craig-Bryan House. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (1/28/1998) because of its significance in the Italianate brick style.
This is an early image of the house from 1910. The negative was reversed when this was printed. Notice at that time the house had a porch