The Rice house is located at 501 N. W. A St. It is a 2-1/2 story wood frame structure with elaborate Eastlake (Queen Ann) styling. It was built by Charles Matlock Rice in 1891, who was an attorney in Bentonville. Rice spared no expense in the building of the house. It was designed to have natural air flow through the house to help keep it cool in the summer. During construction, the house was scaled back but still is an impressive house. At one time a cupola sat on top of the right front tower of the house. The house is one of the most beautiful historic houses left in Bentonville. The house in the early 1900's was owned by Dr. F. R. Greene.