Many who have lived in Benton County for quite a while may easily think that this grand home at 606 E. Central may have been built by Bud Walton, but that would not be correct. The property itself was originally owned by Judge Greenwood. The first house on the property was built by John Mortimer Traylor in 1849. That house was to stand on the property for 89 years until 1938. At that time the Traylor family had gotten into an argument with each other on whether the old house should be torn down or stay. The family was split on what to do, but they finally decided to tear the house down.
Original Traylor house as it appeared in the 1930s before being razed.
Summer Kitchen on the old house
Photo from the 1930s of the garden gate that sits behind the house.
John Mortimer Traylor, the original owner of the house
A new house was built on this site in 1938. The new house had much the same appearance of the old one. A member of the Traylor family lived in the house until around 1974.
New house as it appeared in the 1930s. On the front porch are Grandma Nannice Traylor & Norma Traylor.
Traylor family by the old water well that sits behind the house. The well is still there today (photo from the 1930s)
John M. Traylor who was one of the last owners of the house.
After the Traylors owned the house, it sat empty from around 1974 to 1979. At this time Bud Walton purchased the property and owned the house until Bud passed away in 1999. In August of 2002 it was purchased from the Walton estate by Jerry C. and Becky Clark, who have owned it until very recently. The Clarks added a beautiful handmade gate arounded the property as well as adding a greenhouse.