This is a look at old photos other than the downtown area of Bentonville.
Ferguson's Lumberyard located just off the southwest corner of the square in Bentonville. Today this would be taken from the S. E. A Street parking lot, across from First Baptist Church. The gentleman standing in front of the fence is Dr. Hobbs.
This is an image of the old Eagle Hotel. This hotel was razed about 1908 to make room for the Massey Hotel. The building at one time also housed Bentonville Marble Works, owned by H. G. M. Whirter & C. O. Mitchell
This shows the laying of the cornerstone at the Bentonville Academy (College) May 25, 1894. The college was located where the old Benton County Fairgrounds used to be, or where the new Thaden School is being built.
This was originally the Bentonville Academy. It would later be bought by the Baptists to become the Ouachita Academy, at which time a dormitory was added on to the school. After that it became Bentonville High School until the school now known as Old High was finished in 1928. At that time this structure was torn down.
Here is a photo of the Bentonville Sun newspaper office in Bentonville. So far, we have been unable to determine where in Bentonville this building was located. It may have been on South Main Street.
This was the train depot for the Bentonville Railroad Company. It was located about a quarter of a mile southeast of the Bentonville square. It was originally just had a platform, but later a depot was built. The photo has a date on it of 1894. The line was bought out and the name was changed to the Arkansas & Oklahoma Railroad.
This was one of the trains used on the railroad between Rogers and Bentonville. The Bentonville Railroad was newly completed in 1883.
This is an image of a crew grading for a railroad that was supposed to come to Bentonville. This line was never completed. The railroad line was supposed to have run through where Crystal Bridges Museum is now located.
Bentonville had many blacksmith shops around town back in the day. This shop was the City Shoeing Shop owned by Back and Truman. but this shop operated under several different names and was owned by several different people. In this image Tony (Anton) Back is standing at the right front corner of the building. The building may have been located about 112 N.W. 2nd St.
This is one of many photos that used to hang in the Elk Horn Barber Shop. It is of a stable in Bentonville but the location wasn't identified on the photo. Around this time frame there were at least two blacksmith shops in town. One was located about where the City Hall building is now located, and it was called McSpadden's Livery. The other one was located on the west side of the 200 block of N. Main Street and was called W. B. Chastain Livery. This may be one of those livery stables.
Bentonville/Eagle Mill on East Central a block off the square. It was first named Bentonville Mills, built in 1869. The picture is from the mid-1880s. A new mill was built around 1904. It was three stories plus a basement and 36' X 36' in size. It had the capacity to grind 100 bushels a day. At one time it was owned by W. M. Bowman who sold it to C. H. Rich. The house in the background was the home of Dr. Talliaferro. One of the rooms in the house was used as a school.
The Macon & Carson's Brandy Distillery was established in Bentonville in 1893. It had the capacity to produce 215,000 gallons a year. They produced Apple Jack brandy but also made some peach brandy. They had 30 fermenters on the property. It operated until Arkansas voted in prohibition, and then it became a vinegar plant.
Blocher/Bentonville Evaporator was located on S. E. 3rd St. In the image there are wagons waiting to unload apples at Blocher Evaporator. The plant was built in the late 1800s as Bentonville Evaporator Company, and was later sold to Jim Blocher. The evaporator, with the exception of a few years where the apple crop totally failed, had operated each season, giving hundred of jobs to local laborers and affording a market for apples between the top and lower grades. When first built, the evaporator could process 800 bushels of apples a day. According to Mr. Blocher, the plant at its peak value represented an investment of about $15,000. The reason given for closing the evaporator was the decline in the use of dried fruits, and the increase in wages made it impossible to make a profit. The evaporator was razed in January 1941.
The first public non-subscription school in Bentonville was located just south of the corner of S. W. 4th St. and S. W. E St. The building sat in the middle of where Southwest E Street runs today. At the time is was built in 1870, the building sat in the middle of two blocks. It was a two story building containing seven class rooms, a hallway and cloak rooms. The building housed all grades of students in one public school building. It burned down in 1877 or 1878. After the school burned, classes were held in private homes or churches until it could be replaced. In 1881, the school was rebuilt at a cost of $10,000. It was used for five of six years but was then torn down. The north part of the grade school was then built in 1888, which by that time had an enrollment of 326 students.