CharlesW. Brown, member of the firm Smart & Brown, proprietors of the livery, feed and sale stable of Bentonville, was born in Warren County, Ohio, in 1847; son of William C. and Martha E. (McBay) Brown. The father was also born in Warren County, Ohio, in 1811, and was a farmer and stock dealer by occupation. He moved to Shelby County, Ohio and there died in 1874. The mother was born near Harrisburg, Penn. and died in 1873. They were the parents of seven children.
Charles W. was reared on his father’s farm, and in March, 1864, he enlisted in the Eighth Ohio Battery Light Artillery, and was in service until the close of the war, being discharged at Cincinnati, Ohio. He served in Mississippi and was on garrison duty. After the war Mr. Brown operated a threshing machine for fourteen years. In the spring of 1885 he went to Kinsley, Kansas, and was engaged in a stock and ranch business. In 1886 he became a resident of Bentonville, Arkansas, and he and E. F. Henry speculated in real estate. They owned Clark's second addition, sold numerous lots, and met with good success. In June, 1887, Mr. Brown and L. P. Smart became partners in the livery and feed stable. Mr. Brown brought the first full-blooded Norman horse to Benton County, and he and Mrs. Henry brought the first Galloway cattle ever in the county. We have no record as to when Mr. Brown passed away.
Adapted from Goodspeed- History of Benton County 1889 *