Cave Spring Community Rich In County History By Katrinka Vanderpool - Benton County Democrat - May 28, 1936
Before the days of luxurious transportation, when people wanted more room, they went "A Pioneering."
Some of whom made the present day Cave Springs their choice of abode; a different Cave Springs with it beautiful lake, good roads and modern conveniences.
There were Cannons, the Pattishalls, Strouds, Allens among the pioneers who were farsighted enough to see the possibilities of the place. A post office was established which was called "Cannon post office." The first post was operated in a home and mail dispatched on horseback. One of the first mills in the county was built near Cave Springs. A water mill was operated near where part of the lake is today. George Robbins was the first operator. it was later passed into the hands of " Old Uncle" Elijah Allen, a pioneer from Tenn. The later owner was J. W. Stroud, father of H. L. Stroud, a present day merchant.
A grand charter is Aunt Kate Grimsley, who can tell interesting and exciting incidents of the early days of Cave Springs. One story she relates before "the War" was that her father had started to have some blacksmith work done, leaving his wife and children at home.
After they waited and he did not return a search was made, only to their sadness they found the "bushwackers' had captured him. He was never found.
Aunt Kate is now in her eighties and except for a short time spent in Cassville, Mo., has spent her entire life in Cave Springs.
As time on, more up-to-date stores were built. The operator of one of the stores was John Sandusky. The first school was a log house, called by its students "Stick in the Mud."
The Baptist Church was organized years ago and the first location was on the hill near the present Mrs. John Clement's home, near the old Wall Water Mill, which is still in operation on Osage Creek.
The Hollands, Smileys, Brights, Murdocks, Jones, McClures were also early settlers near Cave Springs. As time went on more settlers came. Romance came and families were united. One of the first modern livery stables was operated by the present Will McDaniles, father of a Cave Springs business man today.
The McDaniel Livery Stable was built around 1912 by William McDaniel. In the photo left to right are Uncle Charlie Stiles, in wagon, William (Bill) McDaniel, Frank Rozar, John McDaniel, and Ben Gould in buggy. (Cave Spring Scene 1971)
The country began about 1900 to developed the now universally known Arkansas strawberries and apples. With no modern day trucking conveyances a need for railroad was felt.
In 1906 the dream became a reality and was known as the Rogers Southwestern. One depot agent was E. D. Kelly and another by the name Davis. The contact on the railroad for the grading work was done by R. G. McGehee, who was the first man to see the need for an incorporated town, and laid off town lots along the railroad.
This real photo postcard I believe to be opening day of the Cave Springs train depot.
A hotel was built and operated by Doc Beard. Shortly afterward the post office name was changed from Cannon to Cave Springs.
The first telephone system was about the time the railroad was built (about 1905), by John Shaeffer, who also taught school in Cave Springs. The present system is owned by Howard Deason, and operated by Mr. and mrs. Wilburn Oakley, who are descendants of early settlers.
Among the later day citizens came Dr. E. J. Highfill, known throughout Northwest Arkansas for his deeds of mercy, his skillful practice and "Fox Hounds."
W. M. Bartlett became owner of the Spring property and built a dam which created one of the best swimming pools in America.
The swimming area at Cave Springs
As the trucking industry grew and automobiles became more prevalent, business on the railroad declined, until finally it was discontinued in 1917
At present time, we enjoy good roads, post office with daily mail service, splendid schools and churches.
A large community building, which is used for all public gatherings and recreation. We enjoy the conveniences of up-to-date groceries, dry goods, hardware and drug store.
Cave Springs is one of the largest produce centers in Northwest Arkansas. We also have a canning plant adds to marketing facilities and supplies employment for many.
We have an up-to-date flour and feed mill, filling station, garage, and other stores.