You knew Christmas had arrived in Bentonville when the lights were turned on at the Candy House on the square. Santa, of course, was present to hand out candy to little boys and girls. Candy House was built in 1940 by Rayburn Jacobs, who owned a local sign shop. It sat on the southwest corner of the square during the Christmas season for many years. The house was 44 feet long by 12 feet high. When it was first built, it was outlined in neon lights, which were taken off during World War II. The house was decorated with a candy cane and nut chimney, lollipop flowers, and trimmed in silver tinsel and lights. In the early 1950s it was tucked in storage for a few years but in 1954, the Chamber of Commerce had it repainted by Wilma Black, and it was used a couple more years. The Candy House at one time was on the front page of Grit Magazine.
This nativity scene below was located on the Bentonville Square for many years. It sat at the northwest corner of the square. The nativity had live sheep as part of it.
In the 1950s there was a manger scene with real sheep.
Of course everyone looks forwards to Santa's arrival