The Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Bentonville was organized in September 1834. A camp meeting was held at Spring branch near Crystal Springs. The first pastor of the church was Rev. James Harris. Services were first held in a little brick schoolhouse, possibly where the Benton County Historical Society is now located.
The Presbyterian church built their first house of worship in Bentonville around 1840. During the Civil War, this building was used used as a hospital, and later during the war the building was burned. The congregation was scattered and all church records were lost. In 1866 after the war, the church was reorganized by Adam Carnahan. In that same year the church helped in organizing the Union Sabbath School whose first superintendent was John Black of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
The CPC was the first church to rebuild after the war, and many other churches used their facilities until they could also rebuild. The new brick church house was built on property that was donated by by J. A. Dickson The church faced west on North Main Street on the property where the Nazarene Church sits today. The building was remodeled to some extent in 1885, and in 1895 an addition was added and the church was refurnished. Later, the Church of the Nazarene purchased this property and used the old church building for a time. Eventually the church was razed to make room for a new church.