The first public non-subscription school in Bentonville was located just south of the corner of S. W. 4th St. and S. W. E St. The building sat in the middle of where Southwest E Street runs today. At the time is was built in 1870, the building sat in the middle of two blocks. It was a two story building containing seven class rooms, a hallway and cloak rooms. The building housed all grades of students in one public school building. It burned down in 1877 or 1878. After the school burned, classes were held in private homes or churches until it could be replaced. In 1881, the school was rebuilt at a cost of $10,000. It was used for five of six years but was then torn down. The north part of the grade school was then built in 1888, and by that time had an enrollment of 326 students.