Norborne S. Henry – For nearly forty years he had been actively identified with the business affairs of the city, and both in domestic commercial matters and in industrial affairs is extensively known. Born in Augusta County, Virginia, on August 10, 1841, Mr. Henry passed his boyhood and youth in Waynesboro, where he acquired his education in a private academy. His father, Dr. Richard H. Henry, was a native of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where his birth occurred in 1800 and whence he was taken by his father and mother to Staunton, Virginia, when but six months old. The father of Dr. Henry was a Scotsman and was a founder of the America branch of the family. The mother of the doctor, after the death of her husband became the wife of M. B. Brooks. Dr. Richard H. Henry passed his life in Augusta County, Virginia, and after preliminary educational training he was matriculated in a medical college in New York City, in which he was graduated as a member of the class of 819, with a degree of Doctor of Medicine. He was engaged in medicine until his death in 1844. He married Susan M. Cosby, a daughter of Dabney Cosby, a Virginia contractor. She survived her husband and passed away in January 1861. Norborne S. Henry, began life as a merchant clerk at Pittsylvania Courthouse, Virginia, and when seventeen years of age he returned to Staunton and spent a year, 1858, in the academy at that place. He them went to Lexington, Virginia, and secured a clerkship in the establishment of Bacon & Lewis, and was so employed at the time of the inception of the Civil War. Mr. Henry entered the military service at the age of 20 into the Confederacy on May11, 1861, as a member of the Rockbridge Artillery, Stonewall’s brigade, first division of the second corps, Army of Northern Virginia. He participated in all the important engagements of his command in Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland, starting at Water Falls, Virginia, First Manassas, then back to Shenandoah Valley where he fought at Kerntown, McDowell, Middleton, Winchester, Cross Keys and Port Republic. Thereafter the army was again transferred and it joined Lee’s Army where it opened the Seven Day’s fight. Following this came Cedar Run, Second Manassas, Sharpsburg and Fredricksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Widerness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, Ft. Gilmer and Appomattox, where he was a witness of the closing scenes of the prolonged and sanguinary struggle between the north and the south. During this strenuous service Mr. Henry was a private until advanced to the rank of sergeant, and he was paroled as such at the close of the war. He passed through the shot and shells unscathed, save for a bruise by a spent ball at Second Cold Harbor and a good shaking up at Port Republic by the explosion, almost under him, of a twelve-pound shell, which almost buried him in the dirt and debris caused by the concussion. At the end of the war he had made the rank of Captain. On January 1, 1865, Me Henry became a clerk in Danville Virginia, where he remained until 1867, when he removed to Sedalia, Missouri. After two years’ residence in the latter place he moved to Senecca, Missouri, and engaged in the hardware establishment himself at Bentonville, where he opened a warehouse establishment. He sold goods until 1885, when he joined in a railroad venture with D. H. Wood, building a railroad from Rogers to Bentonville, the Bentonville Railroad Company being the constructing and operating the company. Mr. Henry was the general manager of the railroad of the railroad when serving his connection with, after a period of thirteen years in the business. In 1897 he again opened a general mercantile establishment with W. E. Wharton in Bentonville, and after spending several years in various commercial pursuits he permanently retired from the business life. At this juncture he entered politics for the first time in his own interest, and he became the nominee on the democratic ticket, for the office of the treasure of Benton County. He was elected at a special election in July, 1909, and was re-elected in the fall election of 1910. In the daily transaction in the treasure’s department by installing a new record system of bookkeeping, showing daily balances of all funds in the county, even to the most remote school district, and showing at all times the receipts and disbursement of any fund for the immediate information of the public or the county court. He served three terms as Benton County Treasure. In his political convictions, as already intimated, Mr. Henry was a staunch adherent of the principle and politics of the democratic party, and he has ever given freely of his aid and influence in support of all measures and enterprises advanced for the general welfare. Both he and his wife is devout member of the Presbyterian Church, in which he is serving as president and served as an elder for 54 years. He has attended the presbyteries and synods of the district and he was a member of the General Assembly of the church at Atlanta, Georgia, in 1903. On September 29, 1873, me was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Henry to Miss Martha E. Talliaferro, a daughter of Dr. Charles D. Talliaferro, of Tennessee. Mrs. Henry was born in Benton County, Arkansas, in 1851, in which year her parents established their home here. From this marriage they had eight children. He passed away on November 23, 1926 and is buried in the Bentonville Cemetery.
Historical Review of Arkansas Vol III. – Fay Hempstead 1911