Dr. Charles Hurley – was born in Bentonville Feb. 9, 1868, to Dr. Thomas W. and Maria (Neal) Hurley. He attended Bentonville Public Schools and was a graduate of the University of Arkansas in 1899. He entered into practice with his father with whom he practiced until his father’s death. Dr. Hurley was a constant student of his profession and specialized in diagnosis of children’s diseases. He took post-graduate work in New Orleans, St. Louis and Kansas City, and was an active member of the Benton County, Arkansas Southern and American Medical Associations. In 1920, Dr. Hurley and his wife purchased the home at 101 N. E. 5th St. for $5000. At this time Dr. Hurley was a well known doctor in the area, and he moved his large practice to his house. There was at that time no hospital in Bentonville. Two rooms in his house he fitted to keep patients who needed around the clock care, so this was really Bentonville's first hospital.
In 1890, he was married to Miss Mary Louise Deutsch, the daughter of Jacob Deutsch. They did have one child, Edwin Dibbree Hurley, who only lived to be two years old.
Dr. Hurley was also called to public office, serving four years as health officer of Benton County. He continued to practice until his health caused him to turn over his practice to Dr. W. W. Chastain. He kept his office at this location until he retired. Dr. Hurley had been prominent in medical and civic circles of Benton County for more than a half a century.
Dr. Hurley was a staunch Democrat in his political views. During his many years in Bentonville, Dr. Hurley was affiliated with the Masonic, Odd Fellow and Knight of Pythias Lodges. He was a member of the local Rotary Club for some time. Dr. Hurley was one of the most widely-known and respected physicians of this county.
The doctor passed away on Feb. 29, 1940, and was buried in the Bentonville Cemetery.