James C. Knott is best known for being a grocery man on the Bentonville square for many years. He was born in Bedford County, Tennessee, in 1855, the son of John and Harriet (Steel) Knott. His family moved in 1859 from Tennessee to Benton County, Arkansas, and settled six mile south of the Bentonville. In 1865 his father sold out and moved to Pike County, and a few years later to Hempstead County. After the death of his father, the family eventually returned to Benton County in 1866, buying land five miles southwest of Bentonville.
He attended school during the winter sessions for two years in a country school, and then attended two years in Bentonville. At the age of 15, he left home and went out on his own. In 1874, he became a clerk for William A. Terry in his dry goods store. In 1877, he started his own grocery business for himself in Bentonville. He started business on a small scale, but with his good business abilities and honesty, his business grew from year to year, and became one of the largest and best stocked grocery stores in town. This store was located on the south side of the Bentonville square for many years. The store was located at what is noww 106 E. Central, but at that time the street was called Spring Street.
In 1880 he married Miss Ella Peel, a native of Boone County, Arkansas. They had two children: Ada and Eugene. Mr. Knott was a Democrat in politics. He died on March 3, 1929, and is buried in the Bentonville Cemetery.
Attributed to Goodspeed History of Benton County 1889