J. W. (John Ward) Langford - Businessman - Attributed to an article in the Benton County Record - June 11, 1896
J. W. Langford was born in Union County, Arkansas on March 7, 1854, to James R. Langford and Malinda H. Ward. He was married to Rachel V. Cook in Union County on Dec 20, 1877, by this union they had six children. In 1888 J. W. Langford and his brother A.F. Langford moved to Bentonville from Champagnolle, Arkansas.
They bought property in the downtown area and had a brink building built on that property. The Langford's became one of the leading merchants in the area, with their name becoming well established in the Bentonville mercantile business. In 1894 they established a there business at a new location and J. W. bought out his brothers part of the business. The building occupied by this establishment was located on the northwest corner of the square located directly opposite the courthouse. It is a large two-story brick and completely loaded down with dry goods, clothing, boot, shoes, ect. In 1896 J. W. bought out his brother part of the business. Both floors are required in the display of the many bargains with which each department is teeming at this season of the year. With ample capital with which to conduct his business,
Mr. Langford enjoys a large and growing trade from the country and outlying districts. Always as accommodating as conservative business methods will permit, he has made many thousands of customers and friends during his several years of residence here. A business man of unusual energy, honorable, progressive and presenting every evidence of thrift, he has attained high rank in the commercial sphere of Bentonville
In the early 1900's J. W. Langford moved to the Pine Bluff area where he spent the rest of his life dying in Feb. 25, 1927