Personal Sketches of Earliest Settlers of Northwest Arkansas - Part 2
Personal Sketches of Earliest Settlers of Northwest Arkansas By Alvin Seamster From The Benton County Democrat (1950) - Now the NWA Democrat Gazette- The Century of Progress Edition
C. Milton Henderson, was born in Georgia. His father, Augustus Henderson, came to this county in 1860 and bought the home on which Charles Henderson now lives. Gus Henderson married Margaret Lambeth, who was a granddaughter of the Lambeths who came here in 1930 and settled near Logan. The great-great grandfather of Milt John Robinson is buried at Thornsberry, and was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. Milt married Sophia Morrison, whose mother was a widow, coming to this county in 1831 with three small children. They were the parents of Charles, A. M., and Ethel. One of the slaves of the Lambeths is remembered by the older people of this community, Kims Lambeth.
B. F. Beasley, son of John E. Beasley, was born in Tennessee, 1853. B. F. Beasley married Annie E. Bowen. They came to Benton County in 1894 and settled near Hiwasse. Sam, former mayor, and late Senator Joe, former judge and lawyer, Hattie, present postmaster at Hiwasse, and Esther, a school teacher for many years. Frank and Noble died after growing to manhood.
William A. Duncan, born March 24, 1827, in Coffee County, Tenn., son of Zedic Duncan. Willam A. married a Miss Banks the first time; his second wife was Allie Weatherly, in 1867, and their children were Bell, Lou, Mary Ann, Virginia, Sarah, James A. and Marion W. Marion W. was born in Benton County in 1869, July 16; James A. in 1867. William A. Duncan came to this county before the Civil War.
Dr. Marion W. Duncan, born in Benton County, July 16, 1869, son of William A. and Allie (Weatherly) Duncan. He taught school and then attended medical school. He began to practice medicine in 1897 at Erie Mo., then moved to Tiff City, Mo., for two years, then to Seba, later to Centerton, Ark., where he has practiced 50 years. He is now and has been a familiar figure in Benton County since starting out with his horse and saddle bags. May he have many more years of active service. He was married to Ellie Moore in 1893, and their children are Clyde, Rivers, Clarence, Hope and Cyrus.
Joseph Moore, born in 1845, in Illinois, came to Benton County in 1868. He married Margaret M. Whinnery, who was born near where Gravette now stands, in 1844. Their children were Fannie, first wife of Mr. Cowgur, then wife of Alex Galyean. She is still living. The other daughter, Ellie, married Dr. M. W. Duncan. When the Masonic Fraternity was organized in this part of the county, Joseph Moore, with a companion, rode horseback to Tennessee to get the dispensation to organize the first Masonic Lodge in Arkansas at Fayetteville.
Mrs. Anna B. Patton, widow of Isaac N. Patton, came to Benton County, in 1860. The family had started to Texas and stopped to visit their old neighbors, Charles W. Rice and other Tennessee people and spent the winter here and by that time the war broke out and they were compelled to stay. The family consisted of William F., the eldest son, Robert, J. M., John P. and Elizabeth, later married to Eagleton Gould. At the outbreak of the war all the sons enlisted in the Confederate army; William F. as 1st Lieutenant, later being promoted to the rank of Captain. During the battle of Pea Ridge, Mrs. Patton was in her home, with her daughter and one negro boy and a great part of the battle was fought on her land, which is but a short distance from Elk Horn Tavern. Following the war, the family home was obtained by J. M. Patton and is still owned by his sons. William F. moved to Bentonville and reared his family, consisting of two sons and one daughter. Harry L. Patton, former Attorney General of New Mexico, now deceased; W. E. manager of the Tucker Abstract and Title Co., now deceased, and Miss Anna Patton, who still lives here.
Warren Harvey Wight, born in Spencer County, Indiana, in 1836, came to this county in 1840 and settled four miles east of town. His father was James H. Wight and mother was Celia Springton. James H. Wight lived near Abraham Lincoln and said that he had spent many a day with him, making rails. Warren Wight married Lizzie Tennessee Webb in 1856 and had but one daughter, Matilda Jane, who married William Easley.
William Oakes, born in Tennessee, came to Benton County in 1854 with Thomas Nichols, Ardell Wright and Dr. Talliaferro and their families. He was the father of Alex Oakes, who married Rebecca Hamons Jackson, widow of John Jackson. They were the parents of Lucy Williams Gann, Pete, Theodore and Mary Tiner.
John R. Wooten was born and raised in Tennessee. He was the father of Napoleon B. (Bud) Wooten. The father and son coming here just after the war and settlied in Burgin Valley. Bud Wooten served in the Civil War under Joe Wheeler. He married Maggie Osborn in 1892 and they were the parents of John R. Wooten, who still lives on the old homestead.
Thomas Anderson Watson, born in Georgia, son of James M. and Anna W. (Harris) Watson. He was married to Clementine Rebekah Harris, his first blood cousin. Because of their blood relationship, their parents objected to them marrying, so they joined a wagon train for Texas and eloped. Clementine Harris, 13 years old, was a descendant of the first four brothers, the Calhouns, who came to America about 1730. The Calhouns settled in Virginia and South Carolina and took up land. About 1760 was the date of the Long Lane Massacre by the Cherokees, where about 50 persons, mostly women and children, were massacred. Patrick Calhoun erected two stones to commemorate the event, one to his mother, and they still stand to this day, near Abbyville. After the war the Watsons moved to Arkansas with other famlies, the mother driving the surrey with Clementine and Estella, Jeannetta and Anna riding horseback, the grandfather driving a covered wagon. The nine children born to Thomas A. and Clementine, were Jeanetta Rachel, Anna Cora, Alonza Handy, Amelia Beatrice, Bernice Estella, William Thomas, Joseph Calhoun and Zerak Emmitt. Bernice Estella married a Mr. Bell and their family were Ona Bell Sewell, Ruth Bell Wharton, our county clerk and Mary Bell Shoffner of Rogers.
Thomas A. Watson - Courtesy of Patricia Pelfrey
Ebeneezer Reddick came to Benton County from Tennessee about 1830 and settled near Pea Ridge. His son, Ebeneezer Reddick, married Nancy Ruddick, whose people came from Illinois. They were the parents of James A. Reddick, of Bentonville, who furnished me with a clipping from the Gazette of 1936. The newspaper article gave the report of a bottle found near the battle ground of the Pea Ridge battle. The bottle had been left in 1852 with a note inside that reported that one John Calayhand had been ordered out of the community for jumping the claim of a Burks family and he wrote the note and sealed it in the bottle with tar and beeswax. The bottle was found 85 years later and he accused the Reddicks, Lassaters and Burks of ordering him away. Calayhand was never heard of later.
The first log house of the Lassaters, built in 1851, is still standing, having been moved to the site of Winton Farm by Dick Rice several years ago. It has many bullet marks of the Pea Ridge battle. Jimmie Reddick saw the note, left by Calayhand.
William H. Mason, son James Mason, one of the first settlers in Mason Valley, for whom the Valley was named, was born in Benton County. He was married to Judy Perkins and they were the parents of Mike, Tynne Hinds, Lizzie, Spears, Tilda Parker and Marshall. Marshall married May Henderson, they had only one son, Henderson Mason.
Joseph G. Bennett came to Benton County in 1890. He was born in Alabama. His wife was Sarah Adeline Christian, and was born in Illinois, They were the parents of Fount W., Marshall, Laura Putman and Dolly Smith. Marshall married Emma McKinney and their children are Lillian Files, Volney and Paul.
George Wallace, the first county judge of Benton County, came here from Tennessee in 1830, with his family, which included a son-in-law, James S. Black. They settled northeast of Bentonville and built their homes near a spring. Part of the old Wallace home is still standing. It is the house in which the first county and circuit court was held. Emily J. Black, daughter of James S., married A. H. Alfrey, born 1825, who migrated from Kentucky to Iowa and came to Benton County in 1858, where he met and married Emily Black. They were the parents of John Alfrey, who was born in the same Wallace house. John Alfrey still lives on part of the original land and also his son, Ernest H. Alfrey, lives on the land joining his father. Ernest's daughter. Fran Henderson, making the sixth generation and her son, Howard Banks Henderson, the seventh generation including Judge George P. Wallace.
John Breaithwaite was born in England July 23, 1811, and came to America in 1828. He came to Benton County in 1832. His children were Mary McCurdy, William Woods, Eliza Ann Langston, Katherine Carroll, Sarah Esther Walker, Mary Rogers, Martha Howard, and George. William Woods Breaithwaite married Sophronia Evans and were the parents of Wm. B. and Chriss Breaithwaite. William Breaithwaite was the father of Willard, Leland Sophronia, Willie and Thelma. The only child living of Chriss' is Ruth Chilies.
Jake Roller came from Tennessee and settled on Rollers Ridge in the northeast corner of Benton County. Jake was the father of 26 children, having been married four times. A son, Wash Roller, who married Elizabeth Rogers, was the father of Bill, Sarah Lawson and George Roller, who still lives on the place where he was born, at lost bridge, after nearly seventy-five years. W. P. A. Britt came to Benton County in 1866. His wife was Sarah Ann Droke, daughter of G. W. Droke, another early settler. Their children were George, James J., Lee, John, Napolean, Hugh and Arch. In 1888, George, James and Lee started the Britt Nurseries and operated it until 1900, when Hugh and Arch took it over. Later Arch dropped out and Hugh has operated, and still has a large nursery between Bentonville and Rogers. The nursery has been in operation continuously for 62 years. The land on which it is located is the land purchased from the state in 1866, called a swamp deed, as all the land on the prairie at that time was swamp land. Thomas Nichols, son of Walter Nichols, was born in Tennessee July 1, 1826, and was married to Lucinda Coffman who was born in Nashville, Tenn., April 4, 1828. In 1854 Waltter Nichols, his brother and family and other families including the fathers of Alex [illegible] and Alex and William [illegible]ght, came to Benton County and settled near Dickson. They [illegible] several weeks making [journey?]. The children of Thomas Nichols were James A. Wm. S. , [illegible], Frank, Jack, Monroe, Lafayette, and Sarah, the first wife of Alex Galyean. The descendants of Thomas and Walter Nichols today have entered into all walks of life and are scattered all over the U.S.A. Thomas and Lucinda died in Benton County in 1902 and 1900 respectively.
Samuel P. Woods, son of Samuel Woods, was born in Tennessee 1809, a revolutionary soldier, and his brother, William Woods, came to this county in 1831 and settled east of town. He was married to Eliza G. (Dickson) in 1831. They were the parents of Mrs. A. J. Maxwell and of John S. E. Woods, also Thomas Allen Woods, and there are many of the descendents now living in this county. Mr. Woods was a member of the first grand jury in 1837, the last before the war and the first after the war. In 1837 Dysart and Sarah (Holmes) Woods came from Tennessee. He was a cousin of Samuel P. Woods; his son, John Riley Woods was very active in the county, having been sheriff and circuit clerk.
D. Wood - Possibly sold general merchandise on the east side of the square where the Walton 5 & 10 was later located
A. G. Kirby, from Tennessee, settled in this county in 1849. He started to the gold fields of California, traveling with a pack-horse, but when he reached this country he bought a farm 8 miles southwest of Bentonville from an Indian and forgot his trip to the gold fields. He was the father of Lafayette, Albert and John Kirby, and a few of the descendants still live here, including Charley, of Bentonville.
Mal Banks came here from Tennessee in 1860, and located where Hiwasse now stands. His son, Mal, Jr., was the father of Homer and Virgil Banks. After the war, his father and brothers came here from Tennessee and bought Mal's farm. He moved to Pea Ridge, where the Banks boys were raised. Their mother was Flora Jones, but we do not have the dates of births and marriages. Mal Banks was one of the first Christian preachers in this vicinity.
Stephen Banks, came from Tennessee after the war, in 1866, and settled at Hiwasse, then Dickson. He was the father of Houston, Mal, John, George and Bob; also Mary and Elizabeth. There were other Banks families located in this part of the country, Jabez B., coming in 1837 and located just north of where Springdale now stands and most of that family moved to Missouri but a few of them remained near Springdale. Some of the others moved to Southwest Oklahoma having met one of them in 1925 in Tipton, Okla. Some of the children of Jabez B. Banks, Benjamin F., Wesley, David S., Thomas Arthur, Margaret, wife of Wiley B. Johnson, George Lafayette and Henry. His wife died in 1860 and 1861 he married Elizabeth Gamble and became the father of four children, Jabez Jefferson, Samuel Green, John and Sarah.
John Black, son of Alexander and Mary (Smith) Black, was born in Warren County, Tenn., in 1831; in 1852 he came to Carrolton, Carrol County, where he practiced law. He married Sophia A. Greenwood in 1855. After the war he moved to this county and was appointed county clerk, and held nearly all the offices of this county for a longer period than any one before or since. They were the parents of Alexander, Kitty, John S., Mary L. Tinnin, Carrie Couch, and Hugh D. John S. was the father of Clint, William A., Ela and Lena. Hugh D. was the father of John and Hugh.
John. H. Burns, born in Bedford County, Tenn., in 1830, came to this county in 1860, with his mother and brother, James P. Burns. Their parents were Thomas P. and Mary Ann (Knott) Burns. John H. and James P. were merchants. John H. married Mary Elizabeth Simpson; James P. Married Sarah Emaline Jackson, daughter of Haley Jackson.
Rev. Peter Carnahan, born at Cane Hill in 1838, was a son of Samuel and Mary (Pyeatt) Carnahan. Like his father, he was a minister in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. His wife was Martha J. Buchanan.
Edmond Lambeth Hart, born in North Carolina, son of Henry and Barbara (Lambeth) Hart, came to this county in 1850 and settled southeast of town. He was the father of Council Hart.
Robert A. Hickman, son of James and Ann (Daniels) Hickman, born in Tennessee, came to this county in 1857 and settled on Pea Ridge, later was a merchant in Bentonville, Hickman & Maxwell. The present Hickman boys are his decendants.
Samuel Allen Jefferson, born in Washington County, Ark., in 1838, son of George H. and Elizabeth (Moore) Jefferson, who moved to this county in 1841. He was married to Joan Neal in 1862. He was the father of B. A., William T., Mabel and Georgette Huffman. He was the grandfather of some of the Jeffersons now living here.
Capt. Whitfield C. Lefors, born in Kentucky in 1830, son of Samuel and Margery (Montgomery) LeFors, brought to this county when one year of age, later moved to Missouri, and lived there until 1854, returning here and was elected sheriff for five years. He was mayor of Bentonville for two years. He was the father of our old friend, the late E. O. LeFors, better known as Jerry.
Joseph R. Rutherford, son of John M. and Alice (Young) Rutherford, was born in the Hiwasse purchase, which is now known as East Tennessee, in 1826; the family coming to Arkansas 1851. He organized the first company for home protection in Benton and Washington counties, during the war, they were stationed near Rheas Mill, where stockades were built and crops were raised that saved most of Northwest Arkansas from starvation. One of his daughters, Fannie A. Rutherford was the wife of J. P. Farley.
Mrs. Mary Jane Rodgers, widow of Alexander McQueen Rodgers, and a daughter of Philo and Margaret Ellen (Remer) Alden, who were natives of New York. She was born in Louisiana in 1838. Her son, Parmenio Austin Rodgers, remembered by the older settlers as P. A. had an important part in the affairs of this county from 30 to 60 years ago.
Pierce Frank Paul, son of Levi W. and Irena C. (Aldredeg) Paul, was born in Texas in 1861, the family coming to Arkansas in 1868. The other members of the family were James, Hattie M. Leone, John W., David C., and Sallie A., who now resides in Bentonville and is Sallie Paul Jackson.
William A. Terry, born in Glasgow, Ky., in 1844, son of Bennett and Ruth (McDaniel) Terry, who were born in Virginia, his wife was Kate Smartt, daughter of Dr. Smartt, of Bentonville. He moved to Bentonville in 1874 and soon became a leading merchant and farmer of the community. At one time he owned 250 arces of land south of town and had the largest jack farm in the U.S.A. There was a large write-up in a Kansas City paper in 1893, stating that his principal jack was imported from Spain. At the time of his death he owned 50 jacks and more than 100 jennets. He was the father of the late Ben S. Terry, who for years published the Democrat, and was also the father of William A. Terry, now living here.
Col. W. A. Terry at the left. He dressed much the same for the picture as he did in his store or doing other work.
John H. Pace, son of Christopher S. and Margaret Marie (Woods) Pace, was born in Tennessee, in 1831. Christopher Pace moved to the county soon after John H. was born, the other children were Mrs. Sarah Walker, Mrs. Margaret S. (Black) Woods, Milton A. and Mrs. Florence Hardy. Milton A. Pace was the father of Lon A. Pace, who can remember all the hardships suffered by the early settlers, and can tell of the times when all the prairie from south of town to Centerton was in blue stem and was burned systematically each year. Milton A. Pace was the first boy baby born in this community being born north of town on what is now known as the Kindley farm. Miss Bess Pace, former county clerk, is a great granddaughter of Christopher S. Pace.
John R. McKinney, born January 16, 1823, in Pickens County, Tenn., son of John and Elizabeth (Robertson) McKinney. He moved to Benton County in 1868 and was the owner of 320 acres of land near Siloam Springs. He was married August 26, 1856, to Mary E. Moseley and some descendents still live around Siloam Springs. Carl and his brother Ortis, in Rogers are grandchildren of John R. McKinney.
Felix G. and wife, Ann (Northington) Lindsey, of Kentucky, settled near Sulphur Springs, in 1833. They were the parents of Flavius Joe and Felix G. Lindsey. Felix G. Lindsey was the father of the late Grover and Vol T. Lindsey, and was in his time one of the greatest lawyers in Northwest Arkansas; also he was the Grand Master of the Masonic Lodge of Arkansas.
Joel A. Hood, born in McMinn County, Tenn., settled near Sulphur Springs, on Butler Creek soon after the war. He was the father of James Hood, who married Zerrelda Robinson. They were parents of Allen, Will I., Sarah Lou, and John Herbert. Will I. who now lives in Bentonville.
David Edwards, born in North Carolina, November 25, 1816, son of Richard Edwards, who was a descendent of William Edwards, one of the colonists of the John Smith colony, in Virginia, having come there in 1616, them migrated to North Carolina on account of the persecution of the Baptists in their religious worship. In the 1850's, David Edwards, with his wife, Jane Anders, and the rest of the family arrived in Benton County. They settled about five miles southwest of Bentonville, near Bryant Higgins, who had been their neighbor in North Carolina, and having come here in 1848. In the caravan from North Carolina was Noah Galyean, father of Alex Galyean, who married Sarah Nichols. On April 5, 1860, William Edwards married Martha Susan Higgins. They had sixteen children, the ones best remembered were Shade, John, Sam and W.R., better known as Willie Bob. Special mention should be made of Bob Eugene Edwards, son of W. R. and Faye Gann Edwards. He was made a Lt. Col. in the army in 1944, at the age of 28 years, and at that time and I think still is, the youngest Lt. Col. in the service. He is now stationed in Korea with his wife and two children.
This sketch was given me by Daniel Dickson Edwards, who lives here, and taken from a complete book written in 1948 by W. R. Edward to preserve for future generations of the Edwards and related families.
M. R. Blevins, son of Allen and Clara (Owens) Blevins, was born in Bradley County, Tenn., in 1837, coming to Arkansas when he was 12 years of age and settled north of Bentonville. He was married to Elizabeth Wakefield, daughter of William and Jane Wakefield. He enlisted in Co. A 1st Cherokee Cavalry. After the war he returned to the farm and reared a large family.
J.A.C. Blackburn was born at War Eagle in 1841, Son of Slyvanus and Catherine, who settled here in 1832. He succeeded his father-in-law in the saw mill and lumber business, Peter Van Winkle, in 1884. At the time he had an output of 3,000,000 feet of lumber per year and owned 1500 acres of timber in Benton and Madison counties. He was first married to Ellen Van Winkle. His second wife was Mrs. Belle Harris.
A photo of Slyvanus and Catherine Blackburn from War Eagle
William Burrel Horsley of English descent, was the son of William Horsley and Polly Board Horsley, and was born on the 25th day of Decenber, 1800 in Bedford County, Virginia. When a boy of 10 years of age he moved to near Louisville, Breckenridge County, Kentucky, where in the year of 1826 he married Nancy Board Shrewberry, also a Virginian. Of this marriage there were born in Kentucky five sons, Simeon S., Henderson B., William B., Nathaniel S., and Lewis Laughley Horsley; and two daughters , Julia Ann Haynes and Emeline B. Farthing.
Mr. and Mrs. Horsley in the year 1856, with their family, moved in covered wagons from Kentucky to near Versailles in Morgan County, Missouri, where intermarriages were had with Missourians.
In the year 1867, the Horsley's moved to Northwest Arkansas very near where Rogers was later located. Henderson B. Horsley, William B., and Simeon S. Horsley, together with George E. Wilson, Ben T. Oakley, Charles Brixey and J. R. Swafford, neighbors, gave the required donation of $600.00 to locate the Frisco depot and the town of Rogers, on the land of B. F. Sikes. The first train arrived in 1882.
The older Horsleys were farmers, stockmen and orchardists, and all purchased, improved and lived on farms just west, northwest and near where the town of Rogers was located. The Horsley school house stood where the Whitlow cottage now is located on West Walnut Street, Rogers, and the Horsley graveyard is located only a few yards north, where the bodies of said William Murrel Horsley (who died in the year 1885) and his wife (who died in the year 1878) were buried and now sleep, near their first home in Arkansas. The original trustees of the Horsley graveyard (2-26-1878) were William B. Horsley, T.H. McSpadden, J. C. Douglas, S. B. Locke and C.E. Smith. Many of the older Horsleys were buried in the City Cemetery of Rogers as are the younger Horsleys. Those who are now living are located in various places, and few remain to tell the old, old story of the Pioneers, and there were many of them who sought and found the land of beauty, sunshine, health and contentment, -- the "Garden Spot" of Arkansas, and also the natural home of happiness, love and romance, and heaven on the earth.
James C. Knott, born in Bedford County, Tenn., 1855, son of John and Harriet (Steel) Knott. The father was of Irish origin. They settled south of Bentonville in 1859, In 1880 J. C. Knott married Ella Peel, daughter of John W. Peel. James C. Knott, Jr., our present mayor, and Gordon Knott, of the Eagle Milling Co., are the only decendants now living here.
D. M. Young, born in Tennessee, son of Oliver Young. The father homesteaded in the east part of Bentonville and built a brick house now standing, occupied by a Mr. Smith. Mr. D. M. Young served through the war and was discharged in Texas, riding home on a pony which he used with an oxen to make his first crops after the war. He was married to Sarah M. Darnell, born in Springfield, Mo., and who came here at an early day and lived in a log house where the bus station now stands. She taught school in Benton County before the Civil War. The children of the above couple best remembered by all of us were William Oliver Young, who died in 1940, was a lawyer and had served in several county offices. Sarah F. Brittain is still living, John Edward Young (Ed) was a teacher and deputy sheriff, Clint Young was a teacher and one of the first County Agents in Oklahoma. Maude Young, still living, is a nurse and has operated a hospital for nearly 30 years. Ella Young Mason, a former deputy clerk and bookkeeper, was the mother of Dr. Coin Mason, whose grandfather was a Kentuckian, operated a livery stable here and had one of the first herds of registered Jersey cattle in the county. Dr. Coin Mason is one of the most distinguished young men ever to go up from Bentonville. He is a scientist of international distinction and is manager of the Electro-Physics Department of the research laboratories of Westinghouse at Pittsburg, Pa. He has also served with the Atomic Energy Research at Oak Ridge, Tenn., and spent two years post graduate work at the University of Atrecht, in Holland.
Mr. Hugh Middleton came here from Tennessee at the close of the Civil War and bought a section of land south of Bentonville. He was the father of Columbus Joe and Lee Middleton and Lee Middleton. Columbus Middleton married Minnie Gregory and they were the parents of Frank, Sam, Flora and Mrs. Bird Rife, wife of W. K. Rife, and mother of Vern and Aver Rife. Minnie Gregory came from McMinnville, Tenn., which was in Eastern Tennessee known as the Hiawasse Purchase.
Henry Giger came to Benton County in 1885 from Newton County, Mo., and came there from Illinois. His wife's name was Mary. Their children were Wm. H., Charles, Jordan and Lewis. Charles married Mary Elizabeth Allison, and they had three boys and three girls. Jess, Roy, Ben, Laura, Amy and Lucy. The boys are still living here. Wm H. lives in Los Angeles, Calif., is 91 years of age. Laura Paul also lives here.
Seth Thomas and Lafayette Kendrick, were all citizens of Benton County, having come here in the 1840. They were the sons of Martin and Nancy (Phillips) Kendrick. They lived near Lowell, Seth Married Elizabeth Graham, Thomas married Susan Phillips, and Lafayette married Martha Slayback.A great many of their descendants still live near the homes of the first settlers.
Edgar H. Looney, born in Hart County, Ga., in 1856, son of Morgan H. and Emma M. (Black) Looney. In 1876 Mr. Looney located in Bentonville and was associated with W. H. Cloe in the drygoods business. He also served as postmaster about 8 years. He was married to Cora Taliaferro in March 1875, and they were the parents of Charles, Amy and Lowrey Looney.
Joseph G. McAndrew was born in Lawrence County, Mo., in 1854, son of Joseph and Malinda (Perry) McAndrew, who came to Missouri from Tennessee. J.G. married Ethel Morrison, who was born in Benton County. Their children were Joseph A., Harley, Emma and Elizabeth, J. G. McAndrew's sister Elizabeth married J. L. Hagler, and Ida married Philo Alden.
David Walker, born in Tennessee, came to Benton County in 1852 with his family of 14, including John, Bob and William Walker. John and William Walker erected the courthouse in the middle of the square, being the first brick courthouse, which was burned during the war. John Walker married Sarah Pace, an aunt of Lon Pace, and they were the parents of Wilson Walker, who married Mary Dunlap. Some of their children are John, Harry, Raymond, Chriss, Sylvia and Georgia.