Dr. John Smartt was the president of the People's Bank at Bentonville, and also president of the Bentonville Railroad. He was a native of McMinnville, Warren Co., Tenn., born in 1820, and the son of George R. and Ethelia (Randolph) Smartt. George R. Smartt was born in Mecklenburg County, N. C., was of Scotch descent and a farmer by occupation. At the age of eight years he removed with his parents to Warren County. Tenn., and in later years married Miss Randolph. He was a member of the legislature one term and died in Warren County, Tenn., in 1856. His wife was a native of Tennessee, and died in 1860. She was the mother of nine children, Dr. John Smartt being the third child.
The doctor was reared and grew to manhood on the farm and received a good education in the Warren County schools. He remained with his parents until twenty-two years of age, and at the age of twenty-four began the study of medicine, his preceptor being Dr. Alfred Payne. In 1846 and 1847 he attended the Lexington Medical College at Lexington. Ky., and in March of the last named year he commenced his practice at McMinnville. Tenn. One year later he went to Oxford, Calhoun Co., Ala., and resuming his practice, remained there until after the Civil War. In the fall of 1865, he went to Dallas, Texas, and in 1871, he became a resident of Bentonville, Ark.
Dr. Smartt practiced medicine continuously since he entered the profession and met with unusual success in all his work. In November, 1848, he married Miss Essie C. Pyles. a native of South Carolina, born in 1828, and to them were born nine children. In the fall of 1882 the Bentonville Railroad was organized, and Dr. Smartt was elected president of the organization, or company. In 1884 he was elected president of the Benton County Medical Examining Board. In June, 1888, the Bentonville Commercial College was organized, and Dr. Smartt was elected president of the same.
He was a life-long Democrat in politics, casting his first vote for James K. Polk in 1844. He was a stockholder in the Bentonville Evaporator and Canning Factory, and was vice-president of the same. He and his wife were members of the Presbyterian Church, in which he was an elder for twenty years. He passed away June 9, 1899, and was buried in the Bentonville Cemetery.
Bio attributed to Goodspeed History of Benton County 1889