Thomas Jefferson Elementary School was dedicated on Sunday Jan. 31st, 1960. The $250,00 structure was all steel, brick, and concrete. Construction was started in October 1958 and finished the following December. It was built with 16 classrooms, a conference room, an office, a health room, a library, a band room, and a combination auditorium and cafeteria. The entire floor space was calculated at approximately 28,000 feet. As soon as this building was completed it reached capacity, and the school was expanded.
(Photos courtesy J. Dickson Black / Randy McCrory Collection)