Thumbnail Sketches Of Benton County Towns From The Benton County Democrat (1950), Now the NWA Democrat Gazette - Century Of Progess Edition
Rogers, in the center of a vast development in the poultry, dairy and fruit industry, is one of Benton county's larger and progressive towns.
The history of Rogers dates back to 1881 with the arrivial of the Frisco lines through that city. In that year, John P. Haley, platted the city for B. F. Sikes.
Through the years, Rogers has moved steadly to the front. With excellent schools, churches, public utilities and industry the city has over 250 trade outlets. Industries include the Robinson-Speas vinegar plant, The Harris Bakery, The Munsing-Wear plant, a plant of the Carnation Milk Co., and numerous other businesses. The city has a daily newspaper. A new modern hospitial is under construction. Another attraction at Rogers is beautiful Lake Atalanta, one of the popular resort spots in the area. It is on the main line of the Frisco and has one of the finest airports in the area.
Carnation Plant that once operated in Rogers
Siloam Springs, located in the western part of the county, is the home of the John Brown University and a modern city serving a wide trade area. The history of the city dates back to about 1844 when Dr. Henry Powell and Col. Cal Gunter settled near the city. The city was incorporated in 1880 and one of the outstanding events of the city is the annual picnic which has been held there for the past half-century.
The Pet Milk Co. condensory is located here and the city's business comprises some 200 firms and trade outlets. The county's only radio station, KUOA, is located here.
Postcard of KUOA studio on the John Brown University campus in Siloam Springs
Gravette is located in the northern part of the county on the Kansas City Southern Lines. For many years this was an important apple and fruit shipping center but in the last few years the poultry business has become the number one industry. Located here in addition to some 50 business firms is a walnut shelling plant, a canning factory and a number of other industries. Gravette is located on Highways 71, 102 and 59.
Postcard of the downtown Gravette area
For years Sulphur Springs, located in the northern part of Benton County on Highway 71, was one of the leading resorts of the area. The town is located on Highway 71, and industries include a hardwood flooring plant and a walnut shelling plant. The town is the home of the John Brown academy and has a large city park noted for the many medicinal springs...
Postcard of the city park in Sulphur Spring. This town at one time was a major resort town.
Hiwasse, in the heart of the apple and poultry producing area, is on Highway 71, ten miles west of Bentonville. According to the Benton County Directory, published in 1948 by Claud Coffelt, the name is an Indian word meaning Sunny Spot, and was named by a Mr. Bayless, a railroad engineer, who at one time had a run through this town.
Gentry is a modern city located on the Kansas City Southern and Highway 59, in the western part of the county. Gentry is also highly developed in the poultry and fruit lines and is the home of a large weekly farm sales organization.
In the same area is Decatur, in the heart of a large poultry producing area with one plant capable of processing 15,000 birds daily. Decatur is also served by the Kansas City Southern lines.
A postcard of one of the many businesses found in downtown Gentry
Other Benton county towns include Cave Springs which received its name from a huge spring which gushes out from a large cave. This is one of the largest poultry producing areas in the county and the industry had its beginning in this area. A large canning plant is also located here and the city is surrounded by a rich farming area.
This is from a stereoview card showing an early image of the Spring at Cave Springs
Centerton is the site of a state fish hatchery. During the battle of Pea Ridge, some 30,000 soldiers were quartered in this area.
Maysville in the northwest part of Benton County is one of the oldest settlements in the area and in the late 1840s was the largest town in the county.
Lowell was established about 1830 and is known for the fine apple and peach orchards near the town.
Pea Ridge, a thriving community in the northern part of the county, is known over a wide area as the site of the famous Civil War battle of Pea Ridge. The area was settled about 1832. The city is also an important poultry producing area. At one time an academy, believed to be the first seat of higher learning west of the Mississippi, was located here.
View of the town of Pea Ridge about from the time this article was written
Other properous and important Benton county communities include Vaughn, Garfield, Gateway, Monte Ne, Highfill, Springtown, Cherokee City and many others.